Inspections are a verification process conducted throughout construction as required by the adopted International Building Codes, by local ordinances and by law. The permit holder or their agent shall make the inspection request 24 hours in advance once that work is ready for inspection. It shall be the duty of the person requesting any inspection required to provide access to, and means for inspection of such work.
Work shall not be done beyond the point indicated in each successive inspection without first obtaining the signed approval from the Building Inspector. Any portions that do not comply shall be corrected and such portion shall not be covered or concealed until authorized by the Building Inspector.
Scheduling an Inspection
Inspection requests are to be made a minimum of 24 hours in advance utilizing the Building Inspection Request Line (307-733-0520 Ext. 1351).
When requesting an inspection please leave your name, phone number, permit number, address of the project, and type of inspection requested.
Please include the date and time your inspection will be ready, as your inspection will be scheduled for either an A.M. or P.M. inspection. Efforts will be made to arrive within a few hours of the stated inspection ready time but may be longer due to scheduling. The Building Department will make efforts to contact the individual requesting the inspection, if the request cannot be accommodated within the time frame previously stated.
Inspection requests made after 3:30 P.M. will not be included with the next day’s inspection schedule and will be added to the following day’s inspection schedule.
As a reminder please provide information on access to the site and areas being inspected, as well as providing information on where the town reviewed stamped plans and inspection card are located.
Please make sure you have a good phone connection and speak slowly in a clear manner.
The following are required during inspections:
- The Building Permit, Inspection Card and Stamped Town of Jackson reviewed plan set must be on-site and accessible for the inspector.
- All work for the inspection must be complete and in place. Failure to have the work completed will constitute a failed inspection and will need to be rescheduled through the Inspection Request Hotline.
- Partial Inspections are not permitted unless authorized by the Building Official. A combination Rough/Frame inspection can be scheduled only after the Rough Electrical Inspection is complete.
- All work is to be uncovered with OSHA approved safe access to all locations being inspected. Failure to have the work uncovered or means of inspection via safe access will constitute a failed inspection.
- Construction is to put in place as per the Town of Jackson’s reviewed and stamped construction documents. Deviations or changes from the plans are not allowed. All construction document changes need to be stamped by the applicable design team member and submitted to the Town of Jackson as an addendum for review.
The complete set of approved permit plans are required to be on site for all inspections. Failure to be ready for a requested inspection may result in a $50 re-inspection fee. 24 hour notice is required for all inspection requests.
Other Involved Departments
The Town of Jackson Building Department only provides inspections applicable to the Building Department located in the town limits. Inspections required by other departments or in Teton County will need to be scheduled through the appropriate department. Included below is a list of other departments often involved in the inspection process.
- Engineering Department Inspection: Call
- Fire/Electrical Department Inspection(s): Call
- Health Department Inspection: Call
- Planning Department Inspection: Call 307-733-0440, ext. 1304
- Teton County Building Inspections: Call
As applicable, all other departments must inspect and sign-off on the Permit/Inspection Card prior to scheduling a Final Building Inspection.
Once all departments have signed off on the Permit Inspection card please return card to Kelly Bowlin to process the Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Completion (depending on your project type). If you have questions regarding the process contact Kelly.
- Kelly Bowlin- 307-733-0440 X 1352 or email@example.com