Basic Use


The purpose of a basic use permit (BUP) is to ensure compliance with the land development regulations (LDRs) for uses that are compatible with the zone in which they are proposed.

When Is This Required?

Section 6.1.1 of the LDRs contains the Use Schedule for all zones. Allowed uses that require a Basic Use Permit are denoted with a “B.” You can also determine whether a Basic Use Permit is required by referencing Subsection C of the applicable zone.

A Basic Use Permit is required in the following instances:

  • Accessory Uses Including Accessory Residential Units
  • Business License (New or Change of Use)
  • Change of Use
    • Examples: Change From Office to Restaurant
  • Expansion of Existing Use
    • Example: Existing Restaurant Adds 400 Square Feet
  • Most New Uses
  • Short-Term Rental (Where Allowed)
  • Temporary Uses


  • How Long: Up to 45 days after application deemed sufficient
  • Who Decides:
    • Final Decision: Planning Director

View an info-graphic (PNG) detailing the basic use permitting process.

Helpful Tips

  • The primary purpose of a BUP is for the town to check that the intended use meets parking, employee housing, and building code standards. Please provide relevant information for these standards in your application.
  • Your project will be reviewed by several departments in addition to Planning, so when drafting your project description/narrative please provide as much detail pertaining to existing site conditions (i.e. lot size, existing development, etc.) and proposed physical changes (i.e. scale of development, building height, FAR, etc.). In addition, you will be tasked with detailing how the proposed project is consistent with numerous physical development standards found within the zoning district for which the project is located.
  •  Affordable Housing Calculation Worksheet.
  • Housing Mitigation Plan Checklist (PDF)
  • When submitting plans (i.e. site plans, floor plans and elevations), be sure that all plans are dimensioned and to-scale.
  • The Notarized Letter of Authorization is needed when the Applicant is not the the owner of the property.

How to Apply for a Basic Use Permit

An environmental analysis may be required prior to submission of a basic use permit.

Please submit an application packet via email to that includes the following (Paper applications are not accepted):

  • Application Fee: To pay the fee via credit card (visa, master card, discover)                       call 307-733-0440 X 1304
  • Application Form (PDF)
  • Floor Plans (If Applicable)
  • Narrative Description of the Use
  • Housing Mitigation Plan
  • Notarized Letter of Authorization (PDF)
  • Site Plan (if Applicable)
  • Summary Table to Demonstrate Compliance With Dimensional Standards (Example: Height, Setbacks, FAR, etc.)
  • Other Pertinent Information


Basic use permit fees are $640. Accessory residential units (ARU's)have no planning application fees with a building permit.